Saturday, July 18, 2015

Know your Competition .... Simone Loysen

Simone Loysen

Like many teenagers out there, I am on social media often. I follow lots of different dance accounts but I kept seeing pictures and videos of  this great Irish dancer named Simone. Through social media I learned she was a multiple Oireachtas champion, 5th in the Nation, 4th at the All Irelands and 4th in the Worlds! I was privileged to meet THE SIMONE LOYSEN at the NAFC Belt Championships this past year in Phoenix. Not only were all three of her rounds amazing but her attitude off the stage represented a true champion. I was not surprised she walked home with the NAFC title.

SIDE NOTE:  The NAFC is the North American Feis Commission Championships that features 3 competitions: A minor cup, a junior trophy, and a senior belt . Each group has a mix of age ranges. This competition will be held in Phoenix, Arizona again on January 16,2016. In order to compete in this event, you must be an open champion dancer who has won a competition in the year of 2015. I think there are a few feiseanna that are actually giving paper awards when you win a 1st place overall that invites you to dance at this championship. If you get the opportunity to go, it is so worth going to compete and watch.  This is the best of the best dancers all in a smaller venue. Last year, they even had a regular feis running simultaneously.

My friend Natalie Hall, Simone and I at the NAFC championships!



Winning the NAFC championships


On to Q & A with Simone:


1) School: Broesler School of Irish Dance2) Age group: U133) Region: Southern Region, USA4) Dress maker: Gavin5) How many years have you been dancing? 9 years6) Biggest Accomplishment? Probably getting 4th at All Irelands or winning the NAFC Minor Cup!7) Favorite Dance? Hornpipe 8) Favorite Feis? Hmmm... I'd say the Broesler feiseanna (maybe I'm a bit biased there) :)9) Biggest Competitor? I don't have a specific biggest competitor per say, since my competition is full of amazing dancers.

Simone and her friend Abby Bradley at the Worlds in Montreal

10) What is your biggest strength and weakness? My biggest strength is probably my toe blocks and the tricks I can do on them. My biggest weakness is probably my shoulder injury that can make it hard to breathe at the end of each dance.


11) How did you get started in Irish dancing? My half-sister, Megan saw Riverdance and decided to start Irish dancing. When I was three and a half, I watched her dance and thought it was awesome so I asked to be enrolled.


12) What do you do to prepare for Majors? I eat healthy (so no ice cream, cookies, that kind of stuff) for the few months before, go for runs, do ab work, and practice usually 6 days a week (whether at home or class)


13) Have you ever experienced a slump in results? How did you overcome it? Yes, I have had a few result slumps, sometimes because of injuries but not always. I usually just tell myself to look at Kevin (her teacher) or look at my Mom. Look at all the things they are doing for you. Make them proud.


14)  Who is your inspiration or motivation? Jason Hays is my biggest dancer inspiration. My teacher Kevin Broesler is probably my biggest motivation. He pushes me to achieve what I can and I owe so much to him. Making Kevin and my mom proud drives me to dance as well as I can.



15) What is your biggest goal for 2015? My biggest goal for 2015 is to dance the best that I can and have accident-free majors: No disqualifications, green tan disasters, or falls this year!


16) Do you do anything else outside of Irish dance? I used to do many other kinds of dance (ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, and acro) but had to stop towards the end of last year because of my shoulder injury.


17) What is your favorite place you have visited for dance? I love the Citywest hotel in Dublin. I've been there twice now and it is amazing! Belfast was also fantastic for the 2013 All Irelands.


18) What were you feeling when you won the Oireachtas again? I was so, so happy! Every time you win there is more pressure for the next year. After winning three times you start to wonder, is it really possible to win again? But if you try as hard as you can and believe in yourself, you can do it!

Simone placed 4th at the Worlds 2015

21) Who makes your shoes? Why do you like them? Fays makes my hard shoes and Antonio Pacelli is my soft shoes brand.  I love my Fays because they make really good sounds and are fantastic for all the toe blocks I do. My Antonio Pacelli Elites are great because there is support in the toe.


22) Which dressmaker do you like? Wow. Almost every single dressmaker has made at least one dress that I like and one that I don't like.


23) What is your practice regime leading up to the Worlds? I have classes on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. I also have an ab workout that I do every day.

24) What do you want to do for a career when you get older? I currently want to go to MIT and get an M.D in microbiology, then work at the National Cancer Institute in cancer immunology and vaccination.


25) What is an obstacle you have overcome in your dance career? As a dancer, I am constantly trying to get through injuries without losing stamina or technique. Luckily, I have found an amazing doctor. I have a really great and understanding teacher, and my mom is always ready to try anything that might help.

Follow Simone's blog here



Simone also added , "Worlds was such an amazing experience and it was incredible to get fourth, especially after disappointing results last year. I was on the moon!"         




"If you can dream it, you can do it."
~Walt Disney
(Simone's favorite quote)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;