Saturday, November 8, 2014

4 Tips to Prepare Mentally in Irish Dance

Hello Irish Dancers!

With Oireachtas right around the corner, I know from experience that it takes a lot more to achieve your goals than just physically preparing.

I have under 2 weeks now until the big O and I know each day I get more and more excited and nervous. I know I am not the only one either. So, here are some of the things I have been doing to train my mental side in dance.

1. Watch motivational videos.  They can be dance videos, parade of champions of year's past or a sports movies. What motivates you? Find it. Post it. I tell the little girls at my school the same thing. You have to find that one thing that motivates you more than anything else. Let it give you that feeling that you can do it. It could be an individual, a video, a song, a quote, etc. My number 1 thing is the video below. The feeling I get after watching it makes me feel, UNSTOPPABLE! I absolutely love this video. Everything is on point and it is a huge motivation to me as I prepare my mind.

Click here to watch this video!


2. Eliminate the things making you doubt yourself.  I make a list of every single one. One of my weakness in dance right now are my heels. I, at times, fall very low on my heels and the same question kept popping into my head. Why do I think I can win if I have low heels? How am I ever going to beat them with low heels? Well, the answer to that is easy and simple: Fix it. As soon as you address it, there will be no more doubt.




3. Look back. Remember where you started.  Find pictures of your first feis. Look at yourself.  Watch past videos of yourself and remember everyone starts from the bottom.  You may not be where you want to be but you are on your way. Really remember what it was like to learn a new jump or an entire new set and how you may not have gotten it right at the beginning. Remember that feeling of accomplishment. You are on your way. You will be better today than you were yesterday. Be thankful for where you are and how far you have come.

Click to watch my favorite video!


4.  Find the good side of this journey. It can be challenging at times but if you leave all the negative thoughts from yesterday in yesterday, your mind will become more positive. Forget about everything that happened in the past. If you had a bad day, move on. If you had a good day, be grateful. Give yourself pats on the back. Find the one great thing you did today at practice and feel proud. Focus on those good things.


I hope these tips help you.  I think the mental toughness from me is credited most to my mother. She made me realize that despite the hours, the days, weeks, months, years in the studio preparing for one event doesn't matter at all if you do not show up on the day mentally. She always tells me to dance like I have been there before. Dance BIG and walk like a champion even if you don't think you are.

You wouldn't be normal if you didn't have doubts or negative thoughts, at least one. You have got to let it go otherwise you will bring it up on stage with you. Doubt is the one thing you don't want to shine on stage.

Now, how far away are you from Oireachtas?
What are your goals?
Why do you think you deserve them more than anyone else?

~Bella Irish Dancer

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."
~Henry Ford 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;