Sunday, September 22, 2013

Know your Competition


       WORLD CHAMPION LAYLA HEALY!



Full Name: Layla Healy
Age group: U18
Region: Leinster
Dance School: Fegan School of Irish Dancing
Set dance: Planxty Davis
Hard shoe maker: Boyne walk (storm )
Soft shoe Maker: Hullachan
Dress maker: Celtic star (Conor o Sullivan )
How long have you been dancing? I've been dancing since the age of 5, so 13 years.
Why do you like Irish dancing? I love Irish dancing because of the rhythm and the fitness side of it. I just love performing on stage at competitions and the friendships that comes with it from people all around the world!
What got you started in Irish dancing? My dancing teacher started teaching in my primary school I went to and my sister use to dance with her too.When I saw my sister dancing, I wanted to do it straight away!
What is your favorite dance and why? I love the slip jig. I just love it's gracefulness and how you just glide and move across the floor.


What do you do leading up to a major? Every morning I get up before school to do some fitness work and go through my steps. Coming up to majors I will be dancing every day for up to 4 hours.

Were you a top placer from the beginning? No I wasn't a top placer but I would place high at local feiseanna. At my first worlds, I didn't recall. The next year I recalled but didn't medal. The following year I got my first medal and haven't gone down a place since, I gradually worked my way to the top!

How do you balance nerves at big competitions? I get really nervous, but I listen to dancing music to keep me calm and I just focus myself.

Screenshot_2013-09-20-17-11-26-1.jpg

What is your routine in the morning of a major? I get up about 3 hours before I'm due to dance. I get a good breakfast and then gradually start to get my wig and make up on. I would then go down to the venue for just over an hour before hand to go through my dances with my teachers.

What does it take to win the worlds in your opinion? I think it takes a lot of determination and commitment. If you want something big enough and focus yourself, it will be yours one day! You've just got to be positive and put your mind to it.

What advice would you give to dancers who want to qualify for the World Championships? For dancers who want to qualify I would say work hard and make goals for yourself.  Also, if competitions don't go your way don't feel down, we all have our slumps it's all part of getting better! Work your hardest and give 100% and ENJOY.

Can you describe the feeling of winning the Worlds? There is no one word to describe it. It's just incredible and emotional all together! Most amazing feeling EVER!
Do you feel pressure to stay at the top now that you have won? Yes. I'm feeling the pressure to stay on top. Irish nationals was my first major since the worlds and I felt enormous pressure on me after winning Worlds 2 months prior but you've just got to keep doing what you were doing and work even harder.

How do you motivate yourself? I motivate myself by listening to dancing music or by looking through old pictures at competitions of myself that brings back happy memories and the want to be there again and to stay on top.

What are some of your strengths/ weaknesses in dancing? My strengths would be my rhythm and dedication to dancing! I've sacrificed a lot of things in my life to dance and I wouldn't change that for the world! Those sacrifices have paid off for me.  My weakness would be that I'm a perfectionist.  Everything must be perfect and I won't stop until it is! I could be going for hours working on one thing that's not quite perfect, but I would keep it going until I'm happy with it.

Biggest Accomplishments? Winning the worlds!

Do you do any other sports that help you with dancing such as track or ballet? No, I don't do any other sports, simply because I don't have the time.

Do you want to make a career in Irish dancing? If so what do you want to do? Yes, I'm in my last year of school. I'm not sure what I want to do, but when I leave but I'm hoping to get picked up by a show and then further on do my TCRG exams then my ADCRG.

Who are your inspirations? Why? My inspirations would be other world champions and my dancing teachers.The fact my teachers put an enormous amount of work into me and that they believe in me is just incredible.

Do you have any favorite dancers? Why? Yes, I do.  my favorite dancers would be Suzanne Coyle and Nadine Martin! They are just such strong dancers and make dancing look so easy and graceful.

Is there anything you would still like to achieve in dancing? I would like to achieve more World titles! And also win every major there is !

What is your favorite memory in Irish dancing? My favorite memory by far was winning the worlds! The atmosphere was incredible and the emotion was unforgettable! I'M STILL SMILING!!

What is your favorite place you have traveled for Irish Dancing? Why? My favorite place I've traveled would be to Anaheim,CA for the North American Nationals in July of this year (2013). It was just an amazing place to be and the weather was PERFECT!
Screenshot_2013-09-20-17-11-33-1.jpg

Thanks for inspiring all of us!  You are an inspiration to all future World winners. 

"I CAN I AM I WILL"
(Layla's favorite quote)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought my second dress ever from her! :) And I'm pretty sure I met Layla and her mother for tea when we went to Ireland.

Post a Comment

 
;