Wednesday, July 31, 2013

To Tape or Not to Tape?... An Irish dance question.

Do you tape?  Is tape even necessary?

When I competed this year at the North American Nationals, I did not line my hard shoes with the white tape.  When I looked back at the pictures, my feet did not look neat and clean. In addition to that, my dress is a bit too long so I think it made me look shorter than I really am.

Also, I really like the way the white tape looks on stage.
I guess I just answered my own question: I am taping my hard shoes from now on.

Something else I noticed at NAN's was that a lot of girls were taping their soft shoes, too I really liked the way it looked. The tape makes  the leg look really lean  especially in the back as it blends with the sock.  .

It is interesting to think that socks are getting shorter on the leg and now we must tape the shoe to make the leg look longer.  Can  Irish dance have anymore weird trends?

I also saw a lot of girls who used white laces on their soft shoes.  For me, I tie my laces around my shoe several times and I like that the black laces blend in.  I'm thinking white laces might be too distracting.  What do you think?



I was wondering what you thought of the white tape on the ghillies?
Leave your answer in the comments!

"There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good. " ~Edwin Denby


Don't forget to 'like' me on Facebook
Tweet with me!
Pin with me!
Share with me on Tumblr
Filter with me Instagram

 Bella


5 comments:

Alyssa G. said...

I personally like the white laces. I used them at nationals and I like the clean look they tend to give my wide feet instead of the distracting black lines to emphasize it. As for white tape on hard shoes, I did not tape mine, but I have the white straps. I think the tapped look is nice, but I have seen some girls who tape it white down to their toes...a look I am not too particularly fond of, but hey, to each their own!

Unknown said...

Nicely described in this post....!!!

Exact position of foots and good Irish dance shoes.

Thanks for the post....!!!

Bella Irish Dancer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I have to say, I think it mainly looks a little odd.
Although I think that's just because I love the look of black laces against white socks for some reason, but it doesn't really bother me to be honest.

Unknown said...

I personally lean towards a contrast. White socks with black laces is very appealing.

Post a Comment

 
;