Thursday, March 6, 2014

Irish Dancing During Hard Times

Hello Irish Dancers!

Recently, my grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer that has spread to his bones.

The World Irish Dance championship is about 5 weeks away and my mom just told me that my dad might not be going with us because he wants to stay with his dad. Not only will it be a big fight for my grandpa, it will be a big fight for me and my family.

It is hard to focus on my dance goals with him ill like this. Sometimes, I wonder if I should bother going to London. Sometimes I feel selfish going to dance class when he is struggling with this.  Sometimes dance feels like such a small thing when someone I love is dying.

I went to dance class last night and as soon as I got into my mom's car, all this built up emotion just came out. My mom just let me cry. There really is nothing to say. Everyone is feeling like this at our house.

But I can't quit.

I love being able to go to practice and NOT think about cancer or sadness or death. It keeps my mind occupied.  All those bad images in my head are being swept away with every dance correction and repetition.  When I kick or jump that worrisome energy is being whisked out of my body. I am quiet inside and I am numb.

I am so grateful for dance because it allows me to release all that sadness and anger through sweat. I love using all that energy on the floor.

When I dance it gives me hope.

Dance is a place that is all mine.  It is my space that I own.

On the other hand, I am so grateful for the comfort my dance family gives me by asking about him. They know exactly when to ask me and when to dance silently beside me.

I know my grandpa would want me to go. And when I am on that World stage, I will do those rocks and that birdie jump with passion because those are his favorite steps.

Have you danced through a painful time in your life? What did dance do for you? 

My Papa and I 

"Let your faith be bigger than your fears" ~unknown



6 comments:

Candace said...

Oh Bella! I am so sorry your heart is hurting. I am thinking of all of you and surrounding you and your papa with love and light. Love and miss you!
~Candace

Carrie said...

Bella,
You are so wise for your age. Dance because your heart sings when you do it, your Grandpa wouldn't want it any other way.

Kim Svob said...

Bella, You have always touched my heart in extraordinary ways, but this that you wrote breaks my heart. The sadness in your eyes says everything about this turmoil you are living. The eloquence of your words made me cry....for your pain, but also for the pride I hold for you. You are truly a blessing. I just wish I could give you a hug and take away the pain you and your family are having to endure. Please give your dad a hug for me and let him know that each of you is in my prayers. As far as your dance goes, you will know the right thing to do.... I love you.

Razza said...

Oh Bella I understand completely where you are coming from. Irish dancing has helped me through cancer too - my own.

I danced from ages 5 - 18 and i LOVED it. I only left to go away to university. When i was 34, and going through a tough time, i rejoined - competitively. I had advanced to open and planned to qualify for the worlds in Boston - but a few months before qualifiers i was diagnosed with breast cancer age 36 (old to you lol - but young for cancer). instead of going to qualifiers i had chemotherapy. I can't tell you how much my ID family helped me through - even collecting some money to cheer me up - which i used to buy wig cleaning products (seemed appropriate for an Irish dancer lol) and pretty scarves. as my wound wouldn't heal i wasn't allowed to dance for months - but half way through chemo the doctor said that for my state of mind i needed to go back to class. i was ill and in a lot of pain - but i never enjoyed anything so much in all my life :)

this january i did dancing grades 5-7 and got an A in all of them. I have a large preventative operation in 12 days, then when i recover i will start training to qualify for glasgow - or maybe even montreal.

i have used the saying:

"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain"

this is what i did and its what you are doing. KEEP DANCING!!!!

i now have this quote on my living room wall

Bella Irish Dancer said...

Thank you Candace!!! We miss you!

Bella Irish Dancer said...

Oh my goodness! Your words are so inspiring. I support you always and we will definitly have to meet in Montreal or Glasgow!! Good luck on your surgery. Please let me know how it goes as I would love to interview you sometime for my blog!! Thank you for sharing this amazing story with me and good luck to you through every storm!! Xxx

Post a Comment

 
;