Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What Gets You Further in Irish Dance? Hard Work or Talent.





My emotions are all over the place lately.

 I'm learning this new set for my upcoming Oireachtas. A few nights ago was probably one of my worst dance classes....EVER! I got so frustrated and hated the set, all I wanted to do was scream! To top that off, some of the other girls in my class pick up the steps SO easily. They just get up there and do it.  WHAT??????

It is so frustrating to absolutely struggle with certain steps and then turn around see other dancers just do it after seeing it a few times.  I don't get it.

I know there are many girls that are more talented than me and pick up steps faster than me but I know without a doubt I work insanely hard! I love Irish dancing and I strive to improve.
This is what makes me so mad even though I know my hard work is what make me so successful (eventually).

But why?

How come I have to work so hard in class while others just pick it up naturally and get to fool around and talk during class?

As my mom and I were discussing this question, she asked me which one wins the title?

I think in the beginner-intermediate levels the girls that are talented come out of those levels faster if they have a little in-born talent.  Maybe hard work is learned and younger dancers don't need to work as hard? I don't know  but I definitely remember struggling to learn steps and moved up fairly quickly to Open champion. So, I guess I am clueless.

What gets you farther in Irish dance?  Hard work or Talent.   

After this conversation, I remembered a quote said by Tim Notke, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." I totally agree with this statement 100% but it is so hard to watch "the talent" not work hard and sweat like I am and turn around and perfect a step I'm struggling with.



I guess I need to remind myself that my hard work will pay off.  My dance friend, Madison said, "Just focus on yourself and when the time comes for competition the winner will be the one who has perfected every little thing at the classes because according to JIG THE MOVIE, you have to be foot perfect."

After practice tonight, I noticed I am getting better and that my attitude for this set isn't so negative. I did come home this week happy that I get to do this set.  I am happy I am able to get some of it right. And then on the other hand, I am crying out of frustration.  Ugh! I guess I am really just lucky I get to do something I am so passionate about. I need to remind myself of this.

What do you think?  What gets your further in Irish dance?  Talent or Hard Work.   


Have a great week!
~Bella





"I never dreamed about success. I worked for it"
   ~Estee Lauder

2 comments:

Kristy said...

If you're a hard worker, not only do you win at dance; you also win in the game of LIFE!!

Bella Irish Dancer said...

Thanks for commenting Kristy! I agree with you 100%!

Post a Comment

 
;